Rosemary & Black Pepper Seedy Crackers
If you area fan of Mary's Gone Crackers or Carman's Nut & Seed Crackers then this recipe is for you! These are gluten free, incredibly delicious, nutrient dense, much cheaper than the store bought variety & I love the drama of the shard shape as apposed to tiny circular crackers. These crackers are really easy to make & store in an airtight container for up to three weeks so they are a great addition to your meal prep routine.
Regular nut & seeds consumption is attributed with lower rates of obesity, type 2 diabetes & heart disease. Nuts contain the amino acid arginine, which supports detoxification reactions, wound healing, hormone secretions & the formation of nitric oxide necessary for the tone & function of blood vessels. In addition, nuts & seeds are fiber rich & contain numerous vitamins, minerals & phytochemicals.
Rosemary & Black Pepper Seeded Crackers
2 cups of almond meal
1 cup of pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
4 tbsp of psyllium husks
1 cup of black sesame seeds
¾ cup of filtered water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp of flaky sea salt plus extra to sprinkle
30 grinds of freshly cracked pepper
· Preheat the oven to 150°C. Have two large baking trays ready.
· Roughly blitz the pumpkin seed in a blender or food processor.
· In a large bowl, place the sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and flaky sea salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
· Blitz the almond meal, psyllium husks, oil & water until the mixture is smooth and forms a ball. Transfer to the bowl with the seeds and mix well with hands.
· Wash and dry your hands, then divide the dough into 4.
· Place a large sheet of baking paper on your kitchen bench and place one of the dough balls on the sheet. Cover with a second sheet of baking papers and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough evenly to make a 30-40 cm x 20-25 cm oval shape.
· Remove the top sheet of baking paper (save it for rolling out the remaining dough) and slide the dough, on the baking paper, onto a baking sheet.
· Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crackers are firm, golden, fragrant and crisp. Set on a rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
· Once the crackers are cool, break into shards.
· Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.